On my very first attempt at a Web site, I had hacked together a pretty lousy Othello applet based on an example provided by Sun. At the time, I was just learning Java myself as a freshman in college. I don't know how I had the free time for writing code...oh wait, maybe it was because I didn't do any of the projects for my CS211 class. That actually wouldn't have been a problem if my professor hadn't cancelled the final - I scored more than three standard deviations above the mean on my second prelim, and the only reason I didn't ace that exam is because I accidentally put a one where I should have had an 'h'. One little curve, and I would have even further wrecked the curve.
But I digress. I never bothered to finish that applet, probably because it was so ugly I couldn't stare at it anymore and maybe because I didn't know how to write a good algorithm for the computer player. Here it is in all its horrible colored glory.
As ugly as it is, it actually fit the theme of my first site, which looked like I made a collection of the ugliest graphics I could find and put them all together in one place. However, once I updated the site over spring break sophomore year, I needed a new version with not so much color. I also needed to actually write an algorithm for the computer, too.